The Kings Historical Society (KHS) is seeking a Curator for the Kings County Museum located in the old Kings County Courthouse in Kentville, Nova Scotia. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Curator plans, directs, controls, and evaluates activities of the museum in co-ordination with the Office Manager to fulfill the mandate of KHS which is “To preserve and promote the cultural and natural history of Kings County”.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Self-motivated, strong in interpersonal and public relations skills with management experience.
- A motivational, passionate advocate for heritage causes.
- A team player as a creative and pro-active problem solver able to generate ideas for improvement.
- Aware of the societal, cultural, economic and political environment in which the organization operates.
- Responsible and willing to take responsibility for management of the site and curatorial duties.
A university degree or college certificate with exposure to history, art, archaeology, anthropology, museum studies, and event or exhibition management is desirable. A combination of education and experience providing the competencies required will also be considered.
Job Duties and Skills:
- provide inspiration and direction to volunteers and subject matter experts
- manage summer student activities along with Office Manager
- assemble, catalogue, manage, present, and display artistic and cultural collections
- research, compile and prepare written information for the Board of Directors
- utilize social media and the museum website in collaboration with Office Manager
- develop & organize new collections to expand & improve educational & research facilities
- assist the head of the Community and Family History Department with genealogy research
- engage & collaborate with other institutions, museums, cultural and community groups
- excellent team work and team building skills
- collections management (development, storage, and preservation of the museum collection)
- knowledge of federal, provincial and local heritage groups and fundraising programs
- grant writing and fund raising experience
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- computer literacy and experience with databases
- 37.5 hours per week
- participate in the coordination and delivery of after-hours special events
- salaried position salary to be negotiated.
- position is seasonal late March to mid December
- St John’s Ambulance and WHMIS training
- a Criminal Record/Child Abuse Registry check is required for short listed candidates
- e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- mail Kings County Museum 37 Cornwallis Street Kentville NS B4N 2E2
Application deadline February 22, 2020
To learn more about our activities visit